Monday, July 16, 2012

Knittus Interruptus part 2 (Electric Boogaloo)

SO UNFULFILLED.
I really expected a completed lace shawl by the end of the week, ready to take with me to New Hampshire at the end of the month. Alas, no such luck. However, this sudden disruption inspired me to immediately run to the LYS (aka The Fiber Factory) and the kind and understanding Susan and Terry. They sympathized with my plight and pointed me in the right direction.
I had decided to go back to the Craftsy.com Mastering Lace Shawls and have Laura Nelkin show me the way back to the light. I'm sure she would gently show me the error in my ways. I decided to take on the Skywalker shawl, it called for 400 yds of laceweight yarn, I bought 875. HA! Take THAT knitting gods!


Pretty, right? More Alpaca With A Twist...I thought it was a good omen but looking back maybe it's something I should have steered clear of?
Got it home, wound it up, pulled out my Harmony Bamboo size 4 interchangeable needles, snugged into the couch with Laura and got to work. It started out so nicely...

And of course, because it seems I'm not actually suppose to knit a lace shawl, disaster struck.

It was late, 11pm or so, and I had this feeling of awful thirst, seeing I was out of water and hadn't moved in about 3 hours I figured it would probably be a good idea if I moved and hydrated myself for a minute. (Not that any other knitters out there know what I'm talking about...) I filled up my water, walked outside for a minute to enjoy the cool of the evening...such a nice night...came back inside, sat down....

*CRACK*

So of course then I sat there and tried to figure out how I could glue the wooden needle back to the base. Tape? Wonder if there is a yarn shop open? At 11pm? On a Tuesday. Again with the denial. Seriously sat there for 1/2 hour looking dumbly at it, trying to fit the pieces back together.

I don't have a picture of the broken needle. I was just too much for me to bare.

The one nice thing that came from it is that I shot off an email that night to Knit Picks to see about being able to buy just 1 size 4 needle and they replied back the next morning that they were sending me a new set free of charge. Yay Knit Picks!

Since the universe wants to teach me humility and patience, I'll wait for my new needles and focus on packing. (We are moving and the stash situation is worse (better?) than I thought.)

But more on that later.



1 comment:

  1. It's been a comedy of errors with the TTL Mystery Shawl, lace, and whatnot. I'm finally getting my supplemental yarn delivered via UPS today. Woot!

    ReplyDelete